读一读 · HSK 3 阅读 · culture
抢着付钱
The Fight for the Bill
生词 · New in this passage
你们三位,谁付钱?
Which of you three is paying?
我来付钱,今天我请客。
I'll pay. Today I'm hosting.
不,这次应该我付钱,我早就想请你们吃饭了。
No, this time it should be me. I've wanted to treat you two for a while now.
别跟我抢,这次真的让我付钱。
Don't fight me for it. This time really let me pay.
我们两个人每次吃饭都这样抢着付钱,你说,这次为什么应该是你?
The two of us fight over the bill like this every time we eat. Tell me, why should it be you this time?
你们两个别抢了,我有一个想法:我们三个人一起付钱,一人给一样多的钱,这样最简单。
You two, stop fighting over it. I have an idea: the three of us pay together, each giving the same amount. That's simplest.
你们两个怎么突然都不说话了?我说错什么了吗?
Why did you two suddenly go quiet? Did I say something wrong?
没事,没事,我们没生气,你别担心。
It's nothing, it's nothing. We're not upset, don't worry.
大卫,你的想法没有错,但是中国朋友不这样做。
David, there's nothing wrong with your idea. But Chinese friends don't do it that way.
为什么?三个人给一样多的钱,不是很好吗?
Why not? If the three of us give the same amount, isn't that good?
如果三个人给一样多的钱,就好像我们在做生意,不像是朋友请客吃饭。
If the three of us each give the same amount, it feels like we're doing business, not like friends treating each other to a meal.
对,这不是钱多钱少的事,这是面子的事。付钱的人是想给你面子,也是想自己有面子。
Right, it's not about how much money it is. It's about face. The person who pays wants to give you face, and also wants face for himself.
面子?我不太明白,面子跟付钱有什么关系?
Face? I don't quite understand. What does face have to do with paying?
请客的意思,不只是给你买饭吃。请客是说,我们是好朋友,我很关心你。
Hosting doesn't just mean buying you food. Hosting means we're good friends, and I care about you.
我明白了,那我是不是欠你们的?我请你们吃了这么多次饭,从来都没付钱。
I understand now. But then don't I owe you two? You've treated me to so many meals, and I've never once paid.
你不欠我们,请客不是欠钱,请客是一种关系。
You don't owe us anything. Hosting isn't owing money. Hosting is a kind of relationship.
那我以后要怎么谢你们,才好?
Then what should I do to properly thank you two, going forward?
很简单,下次你请客,你也要抢着付钱。
It's simple. Next time, you host, and you fight to pay too.
好,下次吃饭,我先说,这次一定是我请客,我来付钱!
Okay. Next time we eat, I'm saying it first: this time it's definitely me hosting. I'll pay.
你学得很快,这才像我们的朋友。
You learn fast. Now that's more like our friend.
看懂了吗 · Check yourself
What are Zhang Wei and Wang Fang arguing about at the end of the meal?
谁付钱
What does David suggest as a solution?
一人给一样多的钱
According to Zhang Wei, what is paying really about, if not the amount of money?
面子的事
What does Zhang Wei say hosting is not, and what is it instead?
请客不是欠钱,请客是一种关系
What does Wang Fang tell David to do next time, to pay his friends back?
下次你请客,你也要抢着付钱





